Sunday 14 November 2010

So...now to focus

After delving into different genres I can see how through adapting elements, playing with colour and translating ideas under different contexts can change not only the genre of a play but also the narrative. Now I'm not to sure whether this is a good thing or a bad thing when it comes to producing a 'good' play.

Personally I don't like the fact that by adapting the object to fit a particular genre would in turn change the narrative of the play. Take for example in the wild west genre, a tepee translating the Lion's castle and hence changing the Lion to an Indian to fit (well in my eyes to be completely correct in subject matter).

Although I suppose this is good in some aspects - making the play original and escape the iconic fairytale depiction of a castle and changing a traditional character interpretation into something new. So I'm undecided whether to create a set which instantly translates the narrative or one which makes you think a little before grasping the intended concept. Swaying towards the surrealist approach amongst the horror genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment