Thursday 20 January 2011

Conclusion

On reviewing this project the scenographic model played an important role in translating my design through one visual record. The development of the design concept can be seen through the additional photographic storyboard - breaking down the transition.

The concept of Narrative and Genre led me to understand and pin point factors within a certain genre to be able to successfully execute a design for the stage. The main scenic element of the Castle within the narrative of the Lady and the Lion ultimately changed to a giant tepee. My initial ideas held tightly onto the concept of it having to be a castle, but when developing my ideas I realised it could be something other than what it was supposed to be. My research and development led me to realise it could still be delivered as successfully if given familiar and similar qualities. Take for example the castle was grand and powerful, by making the tepee grand and powerful I was able to translate the same effect upon the audience. I enjoyed changing the elements within the narrative to something other. I feel it added to the fun of fairytale, where anything is possible - so by having gigantic Cacti was pleasantly acceptable.

Through text analysis, research, design, technical engagement and process application a set for the stage was able to be produced, communicated through a strong genre. Not only was the genre concept interesting to consider, the scale factor and sightlines in relation to the performance space added an extra dynamic to consider.

To be critical my engagement between the original technical drawings and model box production could have been more focused to iron out any imperfections within the production stage. Although my technical understanding of using Auto CAD seemed engaging and enlightening for me, a few errors did arise when producing the model box (e.g. the stage depth being to short and not including the wing space on the foam board plan). Despite this I took it upon myself to alter and adapt my model box accordingly as I felt this was down to not checking plans against my work when I should have.

Personally I felt this unit enabled me to grasp the concept of self motivation. By being my own boss in a way (with the input from others at certain points) gave me the opportunity to make vital decisions of design and development. This journey gave me the confidence to act on my instinct and experiment even if things didn't work out as hoped!

If this project was developed further the essence of the realisation of production could have been realised and developed by producing this in full scale. Although when considering this concept, it may be a somewhat daunting task to behold. Working alongside skilled craftsmen and women, directors and technicians would make me have to consider other things such as costing and budgeting - if the money doesn't stretch the design could be worthless. In my eyes designing is just the beginning, realising is believing in the real thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment