Thursday 13 January 2011

Haunted by AutoCAD error

So today was the day my model box was scrutinised...I thought I had nearly completed my replica of the Margate Theatre with only a few finishing edges to complete. After taking the model box out of the privacy of my room and into the studio, praying eyes were looming over it. A voice said, "Do you think that's right? -(pointing to my apron). And suggested, "You might want to check that on the original drawings". So with reluctance I did and compared my measurements of my model box / printed AutoCAD drawing against the original plans. The result of this to my horror was that I had measured from the wrong point on my apron! Instead of measuring from the proscenium arch line to the edge of the apron, I only measured to the footlights marking. This in turn resulted in my apron being 23mm out or 575mm in reality being half a meter! This fact I just couldn't ignore I had to extend the apron on the model to fit. After 2 failed attempts at re measuring, I finally figured out how to add this extra piece on successfully - at least I could sleep better at night now.



Although due to this corrected error the stage floor I had already produced was to the smaller measurements, no worries I could simply move this floor forward as the painted floor did not need to reach the back wall of the stage as I had a back drop hiding this gap. Actually in reality this gap would allow the people working on the stage to be able to travel from one side to the other without being seen behind the backcloth - see photograph below for visual explanation.


No comments:

Post a Comment